Friday, July 11, 2008

Easy Breezy

Earlier this week, I grilled out with my friends. The pool, good food, fun friends... it was way awesome! Since summer is a great time to cook and eat outdoors, I thought I'd share two recipes that I made for my friends the other night. Super easy, pretty cheap to make, and it seems like they were a big hit with everyone.

Black Bean and Mango Salsa
1 can black beans ($.80)
1 red onion ($1)
1 fresh mango ($1) - I'm going to try and substitute pineapple next time to see how that taste. might be good.
1 container fresh grape tomatoes ($2-3)
Ground black pepper to taste (I used Smokehouse Ground Black Pepper from work, but I don't think it's available retail.)

Throw all that in a bowl, and refrigerate to let all the flavors blend together. Easy and cheap!

Suzy Sangria
2 Bottles of red wine (I used Merlot.) ($6-7)
1 Medium orange ($.30)
1 Lemon ($.10)
1 Lime ($.10)
1 Small bag frozen mixed berries (I only used half the bag.) ($2-3)
2 1/2 - 3 Cups sparkling water (I used blackberry flavor.) ($1)

Cut the orange, lemon and lime in circle slices. Pour the wine in a pitcher. Add fruit and sparkling water. Chill and enjoy SangriaLand! (College - shout out!)

Disclaimer: "Always please drink responsibly." DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, KIDS!!!

No comments: