Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Turkey Time!

It's time for the Turkey Trot!!! Every year on Thanksgiving Day morning, Capital One bank sponsors the Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot. It is an 8 mile run with a 3 mile fun run/walk. The proceeds from registration fees support YMCA programs.

My sister is a nurse at a cancer hospital and apparently still has to help save lives during the holidays. (Stupid cancer. Take a vacation.) She usually works on Thanksgiving Day and then our whole family meets up on Friday. That leaves me in Dallas. With nothing to do. So... I had a genius idea!

You may recall, I am trying to fit into a certain dress in about a month. Training to run in the Turkey Trot 5K will give me great motivation to workout and something to do on Thanksgiving morning! Since I am the anti-runner (me+running=scary), this is going to be a rather difficult feat. Think Phoebe from "Friends" scary.



Luckily, I still have an old running book from a previous attempt at learning to job. It's by Hal Higdon, a senior writer for Runner's World magazine. His website has training plans for taking your first steps (not literally, but in a workout sense) to running a marathon. The 5K plan is 8 weeks long but I only had 6 weeks when I started. My first run was supposed to be 1.5 miles. So didn't happen. Last week was the 1.75 mile run week and I'm able to get through it with only 1 walk break for about a minute. Tomorrow is the first 2 mile run and I'm kinda excited. It should be interesting. It seems like I'm doing ok and I'll update you periodically on how it's going.

If you have plans to be in the Dallas area on turkey day, check out http://www.thetrot.com/ for more info.

No comments: